A Brief History
The Playing field started life in October 1947 as a “Village hall fund” with 3 trustees and £550.00 the aim of the trustees was to acquire some land for the building of a village hall. This money had been raised by holding functions such as dances, concerts and other social functions. Money was also raised from a collection for the soldiers and their families of WW2
At a parish council meeting held in July 1963 a vote was taken as to whether the Village needed a hall or play area. The vote was passed in favour of a playing area. In 1964 approximately £1300.00 was passed to the trustees of the playing field to provide and maintain a recreation area for the children of the parish and so the Playing field committee was formed.
In 1965 the playing field committee purchased the area of land we now have from the “Mary Godfrey charity for poor widows & others in the chaperly of Catcott” The purchase price was £40.00.The playing field opened in 1966 and many pieces of play equipment have been provided over the years. The roundabout is the only original remaining piece of equipment. It is still as good today as it was when first installed and many children have spent happy times on the roundabout. Many of the local residents also have fond memories of their childhood playtime being spent on the roundabout.
Whilst there have been many different faces on the committee over the years the aims have always remained the same. To provide and maintain a safe play area for the children.
We are a registered charity. The playing field is neither owned by the Parish Council or District Council. Any monies obtained are through grants or fund raising. We would appreciate any help or ideas with fund raising. We would also give a very warm welcome to anybody who would like to join the committee.
With your help we can provide a play area for not only our children but also our children’s children.
With many thanks
Catcott Playing Field committee